Monday, January 19, 2015

Return to Faith

Ephesians 4:22-24 (Today's New International Version)

22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

About a month ago my sweet friend Ashley (co-blogger) invited me to a sales meeting about skin care products. It was just in time because I had been sitting there at my desk at work thinking "I have to do something about my skin problems". I am a ten year sufferer of adult acne issues and every once in a while, I get the urge to try once again to fix and cure it. So, her text came in and I thought... "wow, ok this is what I need to try". Little did I know there was much more in store for me than skin care.

At the end of the meeting, I decided to hang around to help clean up. On the other side of the room, much to my surprise, were two young ladies who had asked for prayer over some issues in their lives. Ashley and I stood in the kitchen area of the building while this prayer was going on (lead by a Preacher who had attended with his wife). Ashley informed me of the issues at hand for these ladies and I listened to the prayer. After the prayer was over, with tears in my eyes, I looked at Ashley and asked "Do you think this will work?" She looked me square in the eye and said "this is called Faith, Andrea" followed by her beautiful laugh and a big hug.

That moment hit me like a ton of bricks. Why would I need to be told about faith.. I was raised in church, I believe in God, I have faith. Why did I ask that? And it occurred to me... I had very, very little faith.

At the same time my home was in turmoil. I felt like my family was unraveling and in honesty, my family was unraveling. I had tried all my ways to fix things but none of my ways were enough. I thought okay God, I am going to turn to You. I realize now how far I have fallen away. Please bring me back, please help me. I kept thinking of that one word: FAITH. I realized how shaken my Christianity had become. How unfaithful I was to God. I took out my bible and thought... just let me find what I need.

There was a bulletin visibly stuck inside my bible from the Church I grew up in and was attending on a not so regular basis. I know that most of the time you can't just open the bible and get the message you ask for, but on this day that is exactly what happened for me. The sermon in the bulletin was from the book of Acts but the page it was stuck in was in Ephesians. The first thing I read was:

Ephesians 5:14
"This is why it is said:
WAKE UP, SLEEPER
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you"

I thought to myself, yes that is a great place to start. WAKE ME UP!! I have been a sleeping Christian for far to long. I opened my heart to hear His word. I kept reading.

Ephesians 5:22-24
22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

I know, I know! This is a tough pill to swallow... especially for someone like me: independent and hard headed. I knew these words, I considered them old fashioned and not necessarily the rule of today. I was wrong in my way of thinking. What is in the bible is good for yesterday, today and tomorrow. I swallowed my pride. I got the message loud and clear that my ways and my words would not fix things. My actions and my attitude toward my marriage and my family... that is the starting point. I knew that God wanted me to shut my mouth and listen to Him. Only HE could fix this.

That is where this journey began for me. I am changing everyday. I have opened my heart to God and his Holy Word. So, you may say... I know Andrea, I know where she has been... I know things she has done. But I am telling you, those things are forgiven. My life is for God. My heart is filled with thankfulness that God didn't turn his back on me all the times I was so wrong. I can't help but share these things with anyone who will listen.

Are you where I was? If so, there is help. There is someone who wants so badly to help you. There is hope and happiness in faith. There is a life you never dreamed possible...  but you must open your heart to it.

God, help us all become unshakable in our faith. Thank You for putting me in a place where You once again attempted to reach for me. Thank You for not giving up on me. I am so thankful I allowed You back in. Things are changing in my life for the better and I know that You and only You made this happen for me.

~Andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment