Monday, January 19, 2015

Paul encourages us not to be faithless

2 Timothy 2:11 (Paul the great teacher/apostle writes from a prison in Rome encouraging Timothy to be faithful. Paul is incarcerated  for his faith.  Timothy, who is like a son, is a teacher in the church in Ephesus. Look at the map and how far Paul traveled from Jerusalem and Timothy, with the gospel. Although, Paul's circumstances could appear to be the worst possible outcome for remaining faithful, he does not let the situation cause him to become faithless. Paul could have justified in his carnal mind to be faithless, he encourages the opposite.)

11 Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
    we will also live with him;
12 if we endure,
    we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
    he will also disown us;
13 if we are faithless,
    he remains faithful,
    for he cannot disown himself.

What is faithless?
Jeremiah 3:11 sheds some light.
11 The Lord said to me, “Faithless Israel is more righteous than unfaithful Judah.
Both Israel and Judah were faithless. The verses preceding v11 details their crimes in the following manner:
 “Have you seen what faithless Israel has done? She has gone up on every high hill and under every spreading tree and has committed adultery there. 7 I thought that after she had done all this she would return to me but she did not, and her unfaithful sister Judah saw it. 8 I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery. 9 Because Israel’s immorality mattered so little to her, she defiled the land and committed adultery with stone and wood. 10 In spite of all this, her unfaithful sister Judah did not return to me with all her heart, but only in pretense,” declares the Lord.

They broke convenant with God.

11 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Listen to the terms of this covenant and tell them to the people of Judah and to those who live in Jerusalem. 3 Tell them that this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Cursed is the one who does not obey the terms of this covenant— 4 the terms I commanded your ancestors when I brought them out of Egypt, out of the iron-smelting furnace.’ I said, ‘Obey me and do everything I command you, and you will be my people, and I will be your God. 5 Then I will fulfill the oath I swore to your ancestors, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey’—the land you possess today.”

We are under a new convenant  with God through Christ. But Jesus warned of this same stubbornness of heart  that keeps us from our blessings. Idolatry kept Israel and Judah from God and Jesus told Satan before starting his own ministry Matthew 4:10 "" ..Away from me satan! For it is written:" Worship The Lord your God and serve Him only."""
There are many circumstances, projects, and trinkets that can take our faith away. Make time for God everyday in your life. He is your creator.
My prayer today: Forgive us our Father in heaven, of our stubborn and rebellious heart that leads to backsliding away from you. Give us a heart to forgive others of their wrongs against us,  and bless us today. We acknowledge you above all things. In Jesus name~Amen!
~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment