Thursday, January 22, 2015

Rescued, refreshed and renewed


Coming out of the cave
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” Matthew 28:19-20 
I am excited again. 
But that hasn't been true these past few months. In fact, I can say that these last couple of months, I have been living like a hermit--even withdrawing from social activities. And that is not me! I was beginning to think, "This is it! I am officially old and set in my ways." 
I didn't want to do anything, go anywhere or get involved with anyone! Just let me be and give me my warm fuzzie pj's, my couch, my phone, a good book, or a good movie and life will be just fine, thank you! Since, I have no husband and the kids are basically grown, I did not have to answer to anyone. No one. No man.
But in that seclusion came a delusional idea that I didn't even need to go to church. I have this, I thought and God knows that I love him, so I am A-okay. I didn't need a pastor. If God wanted to tell me something, He could directly tell me.  I -do- not- need -a -man.
And so, pretty soon without the structure of studying and being united with other believers, I found myself in a wishy-washy state.  I recognized that I had no focus and felt no direction.
Of course, I have a loving family and rewarding career, but what was I doing for God? That question followed me. 
Rescued
So, I asked God to help me with that. And  He did. First, he sent a trusted friend to tell me that I needed to be united with other believers. Then God made it clear that I needed to submit under a local  leadership. I needed a spiritual leader. If I couldn't  submit to authority, then how could I submit to God? I had to be apart of a body of believers. Pure and simple.  He rescued me from my delusional mindset. I needed man. I need The Man Jesus and I need mankind. 
Then he sent Andrea, my co-blogger, to give me an outlet that could feed my thirst. This blog. And by doing so, she and I have become accountable to each other.
  • "A righteous man or woman may fall seven times, but he will get back up again."   ~Proverbs 24:16~

Refreshed.
Then a great thing began happening. I began feeling alive again. Refreshed. He is faithfully renewing  my thirty soul. I have a renewed desire to read and dig in the Word,  and I am in a prayful mindset. I am encouraged! I am refreshed daily by Andrea, my co-blogger,  who is definitely a source of encouragement, as well as other believers in Christ. We are on this journey together. 
Renewed.
God is the source of living waters. 
I know you have heard the old adage-- you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Well that about sums it up. I knew where the well was, but I didn't take the time to drink. I let the cares of the world and my own desires reign. I am telling you the truth, the riches of this world cannot compare to knowing that you are in God's will doing what He made you to do, and that's serve Him first, and then all things will be added accordingly. 
  • Hebrews 2:1 --We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 

What is preventing you from getting to the well?
Ask God to show you.

My prayer: Father, I pray for those that are reading this and thinking-- "my cup is not running over--I feel empty and dead inside. I lack direction." Lord, they know the way, but they are drifting away.  The world is taking their source of comfort, strength, peace and so they are being robbed of life itself ---disconnected from the source of life--You. Forgive  us of those things that have taken 1st place over you. Please rescue, refresh and renew in your perfect ways, so we can be a blessing to You and to others.
In Jesus name, Amen
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment