Wednesday, January 28, 2015

If at first you don't succeed.... (by: Andrea)


There are so many things in my life that are being changed right now. These things are happening to me becuase I have opened my heart and truly let God in.... and he is certainly doing some cleaning!
 

Some changes I am not ready to elaborate on just yet.... some I have already talked about.... and the ones that are still an everyday struggle are the ones I am scared to totally give up and ask for help on.  I am still HOLDing on to some things... and yes, I am fully aware that I am holding them tightly. In my post "Opportunities" I talk about my youngest daughter and her "security items" ....her blanket and pacifier... turns out I have a few blankets and pacifiers that I need to outgrow myself!!

I've been SO surprised that the things I thought would be SO HARD to give up are so much easier than I ever dreamed because I had faith and asked that God would help me... and HE did!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 

So, this verse says to me: this is normal...it happens to a lot of people and I can fight it... I can handle this ... God has made me strong enough to fight this and will even help me by providing a way out!!! Oh, but this involves some effort on my part...  to go stand up under that "way out".

GREEN TEA!!!

No, I didn't just lose my train of thought. Green tea is sooo healthy!! I once did an article for our local newspaper listing the top 10 most healthy things we could put in our body. I'm no scientist so I couldn't actually test these foods SO, I took tons of top ten lists off the internet, spent hours comparing them and counting them to come up with a "super top ten" of the most talked about foods. Guess what was clearly and with no competition the number 1 most talked about and most beneficial food?.... green tea.

I decided a couple of months ago to start eating healthy, and put green tea on the top of my list to include in the new diet. Although I didn't stick to the diet, I did have green tea on hand when I decided to quit another even-worse-for-my-health habit.
I now drink green tea 4 or 5 times a day. It helps control cravings for that other habit AND I know it's good for me. I really believe that this was my "way out" for this particular habit. I didn't replace one habit for another, really... I just have a nice warm and healthy place to go when that temptation gets so strong.

So I guess I kind-of spilled the beans on my current bad habit, the one I am holding on to... it's life long, it's my security... IT IS FOOD or more like too much food and not the right kinds of food... because we need food, of course.  The other habits that I thought would be harder to break I gave up easily... this one I am still trying to pry it out of my hands and put it into God's!

Titus 2:11-14
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope- the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

I am going to keep trying. I am making progress... and now by writing this, I hope I can hold myself accountable for this particular needed change. I am going to work on self-control and finding the root of the need for the security that I find in this particular habit. And not to shift one bad habit to another, but to find a healthy place to go when the temptation gets strong... I think I am maxed out on my green tea per day!!! So something else... God will provide this for me... I have faith.


To all that can relate with me and are possibly fighting this battle as well:
"Tis a lesson you should heed:
Try, Try, Try again
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, Try, Try again"
-W.E. Hickson

Re-read the verses above.... give God your habit, place all your insecurities in him and he will provide a "way out" for you.
(this final statement is directed towards me, but if you can use it too, please DO!!!)

Love,
Andrea



















No comments:

Post a Comment