Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Flashlight Faith


Flashlight faith

Matthew 5:14 
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its  stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
I struggle with it. I struggle with the idea that my character must take stands contrary to popular belief and what our culture accepts as permissible--but what is contrary to the Word. I struggle thinking my family, friends and others won't accept me as genuinely caring, if I don't uphold their lifestyle --even though it is contrary to the teachings of God. I struggle because I know that they see my own struggle with faith.  I struggle in my everyday walk not to put my light under a basket or light it only in my secret place with God. I struggle.  And a reason that I struggle is because when I put myself on a stand, then I too must be held accountable.  That's the thing about light, it sheds light on everything and everyone can see-- yourself included! It's easier to hold a flashlight and beam it out in front--than to actually be the light.
 But we are not called to direct the light, we are called to be the light. And in that calling is a command to remove the hypocrisy that clouds and remove traditional beliefs that beams the light on others, and their sins than deal with the sin within ourselves.
A faithful man's character will uphold him, as far as he is willing to stand.
I am praying that God shows me where I am unfaithful, and where I am hypocritical, so that I can faithfully stand and be the light that I have been called to be.
Ephesians 6:12: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Praying for you and for me! Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment