Thursday, March 5, 2015

Crossing out Conformity & Accepting Gifts

It has been well over a week since I have written for this blog. I don't want anyone to think that it has left my mind or my heart to do this. I consider it one of my most important responsibilities. While life has been hectic the last couple of weeks (or decades!), I have had time to finish a book I was reading and learning from... the book from our book study; Lord, Only You Can Change Me by Kay Arthur.
Right after finishing the last page of the book, and while thinking about how much my character has changed in the past nine weeks, I flipped open my bible to these verses that speak so much to me. It basically describes the shift in my values and desires. I want to share it with you!

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is --his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Yes, I spent the last nine weeks crossing out conformity... crossing out the rebellion and the wanting to do things my way... crossing out the evil that I had let be okay for me and even for my children... I've spent the past nine weeks crossing things out... and repairing things broken... and considering purity and obedience no longer a weakness or a boring life but the most exciting and wonderful way that I could possibly live and the only way to true happiness.
... but I kept reading and kept being humbled...

Romans 12:3-5
3 For by grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

Honestly, there are times that I have thought... why is this happening to me? am I special? Is there something great that God wants me to do? And of course, I get my answer from the message above... Yes, I am special and I have a purpose that no one else has. Maybe it is getting to be married to my husband... maybe it is getting to be the mother to four wonderful children... maybe it is being brave enough to offer my personal and spiritual life in writing this very blog for all to see..... or maybe for just one person to see and be moved. Whatever it is, I will be satisfied with it... and I will realize that the person standing next to me in the check out line at the grocery store... she is just as special as me and has just as important of a purpose... and every person I have come into contact with or ever will... they also are special and have a function different from mine. Together we all form one body and we all belong to each other. All of these studies so far have guided me to the great importance of loving one another... valuing one another... and most of all becoming a living sacrifice to God so he can use me according to his intentions.

Romans 12:6-8
6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage, if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.


Thank God for these gifts... if we could all just accept them and let God use us in these ways.... The world would truly be a beautiful place.
If you desire to find your gift...  look back at the beginning of this passage, Paul (the writer of this passage) tells us how to let go and let God rule and bring you these gifts and this relief and release...

Romans 12:1
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship.

Love,
Andrea











No comments:

Post a Comment